03 September 2009

The Hummer Of Cellphones



It's Thursday and it's dragging like David Wright's helmet and I've got a few good stories to share.

Know what that sounds like?

Sounds like a mixed bag to me.

--

-First up, I posted yesterday about my prediction for how the Yankees will close out their final 30 games of the season. With a 10-2 win last night, I'm right on track.

LoHud.com put up the pitching match-ups for the upcoming four-game series with Toronto, and I'm feeling pretty confident about a 2/2 split. We should get one win out of Mitre/Gaudin (probably Mitre) and I'll take Pettitte over Brett Cecil while conceding Halladay over Joba.

-Next is an amazing feature from Newsweek. Sergei Mikhailobich Prokudin-Gorskii was named royal photographer by Czar Nicholas II during the beginning of the 20th century. These are some of the pictures he took from 1907-1915.

This guy rode though pre-revolutionary Russia in a dark-room rail car--shooting in color, no less. He basically shot everything three times--with red, green, and blue filters, and then combined them. Pretty amazing stuff.

-I haven't had much to say about the Health Care debate because I'm not really sure which side I'm on. I wind up fighting for it with people who are against it and vice versa. Nicholas Kristof had a great op-ed piece in the Times yesterday that points out how we've got no problems (or very few, at least) with some other major government-run public institutions, and that health care could benefit in just the same way.

-Newsweek posted a excerpt from Judy Shepard's new memoir. From a technician's standpoint, I'm not very fond of the writing, but the subject matter outweighs the performance in this case. Everybody should be knowledgable about this topic.

-So--it's September.

And I have an iPhone, by far the best smartphone available.

And I still can't send MMS.

AT&T and Apple said I'd be able to do by now.

So--what's the deal?

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that, as Jenna Wortham points out:

Slim and sleek as it is, the iPhone is really the Hummer of cellphones.

Yikes. She's right.

-Just saw this now, haven't read it yet though. Bill Simmons? In Las Vegas? With his buddies? How could you not read it?

--

That's all for now, kids.


More soon.

JS

No comments:

Post a Comment