30 November 2011

Subtle Sexist Symbolism

How would this image differ if Watch The Throne was the creation of two female artists?

So now that Hot 97 and Power 105 have finally stopped just straight up looping Watch The Throne (Drake much?), I think it's safe to start writing about it, at least in some form, just because it's not often that All Star Teams are put together and succeed in winning a championship.

But I'm not going to do that here. Instead, I just wanted to take a minute to highlight something that occurred at last night's Victoria's Secret Fashion Show (apparently I'm supposed to capitalize fashion and show).

This Pitchfork post is what got my attention. To be honest, I had no idea that there are musical performances at said fashion show, but I suppose it makes sense. Maybe.

The first two videos are of Kanye West, who performs "Stronger," which he was apparently slated to perform in '07 but couldn't when his mother died, and then of Jay-Z and Kanye performing what has become my favorite WTT track, "N*ggas in Paris." (Yes, I know, I'm censoring myself. I don't care.) Both videos have a similar feel--two artists who appear to be pretty comfortable performing their music in what should be an uncomfortable setting. I have a feeling if they had seen some of the models-dancing-while-waiting-to-walk-the-runway shots, they would have cringed. I did.





Anyway, both performances are what we've come to expect from J and K--swagger, attitude, whimsy (does anyone else relish how much genuinely happier Kanye seems to be when Jay is around?) and a relative lack of filters between the actual song and the performance.

Then, there's the third video. Nicki Minaj performing her biggest hit to date (right?), "Super Bass." I should admit right from the start that I'm really not a Nicki Minaj fan. I know, I know. Her verse on "Monster" is unbelievable. But when you consider that most signs point to the fact that she didn't actually write it, well, it's hard to get as worked up about her.

That being said, Nicki Minaj is still a huge name, not nearly on the same level as a Jay-Z, and not even on the same level as a Kanye, but still, she's up there, at least for the moment. I would certainly say that she's capable of holding her own on stage, especially at the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show.



So why in the world was it necessary to, on top of her pink hair and Lisa Frank meets Pippi Longstocking meets Lysergic Acid Diethylamide outfit, to also include 10+ fuchsia-ed backup dancers along with the gigantic flashing CLUB PINK Lite Brite at the rear of the stage?

Why isn't a set design like that viewed as equally cheesy and distracting as a similar set design for J & K would have been viewed? It's not as if she needs extra visual appeal. If anything, the boys could have used it more.

The reality is that it likely stems from the fact that Producers (the world over, not just of the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show) assume that we'll assume that the music of a female artist won't be taken quite as seriously as that of a male artist, and so the extra stimulus will be needed to hold our attention.

I should also point out the sexist undertones within the performance itself. The male dancers that spend most of their time surrounding NM (and just bask in the way they look at her right at the beginning of the song. It's the sexual equivalent of a sitcom's laugh track.) are clearly a separate and distinct group from the female backup dancers (who get the glorious gigantic letter outfits) at the rear of the stage.

I know how you'll probably respond when you read this. I'm over-analyzing. Finding problems where there are none. If sexism still exists, why was a woman performing at all? Why can't I just relax and be entertained by the music?

All fair questions, and to be honest, I'll admit that I am intentionally picking apart the performances. But I would argue that the subtle sexist symbolism that can clearly by seen when juxtaposing those three performances is incredibly dangerous, simply because of how easy it is to ignore. The little changes are the hardest to make. God, as well as the devil, is in the details.

And really, at this point, I'll do anything to avoid having to hear Aubrey Graham, for the ten billionth time, humblebrag about being too strung out on compliments.

2 comments:

  1. "If sexism still exists, why was a woman performing at all?" And guess what, if we end up with a female president we'll still have battles to be fought. One woman's success or equality (or apparent equality) does not mean that things have been equalized for everyone everywhere. There is still racism and we have a black president.

    "Why can't I just relax and be entertained by the music?" For the same reasons you can't walk up to a stripper and buy a lap dance for your friend at his bachelor party. Because you're a sociologist and a feminist. Because you're Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the not being able to buy a lap dance might stem more from social awkwardness, rather than a socially progressive conscience, but I'm more than willing to take the compliment.

    ReplyDelete