24 August 2009

Cathartic Mini-Symphonies



If you haven't checked it out already, last week Pitchfork counted down their Top 500 tracks of the 2000's and they did a really great job of compiling this list and making it so that you could listen to every track. I took the time to go through every track and wound up getting ten new albums out of it--bands I've known about, bands I didn't know about, and some that I finally took the plunge on after holding out for selfish reasons. Give the whole list as much of a read as you can, but here are the ten albums I picked up:

-Arcade Fire-Funeral
One of those bands I'd heard plenty about but never bothered to check out. I'm glad I did though.

-Girl Talk-Feed The Animals
-Girl Talk-Night Ripper
Girl Talk provides the true definition of what a mash-up should be. Check the Wikipedia page if you don't believe me. This stuff is mind-blowing.

-Mclusky-Mclusky Do Dallas
-Mclusky-The Difference Between Me And You Is That I'm Not On Fire
Besides having me from the get-go with these album titles, once I heard "To Hell With Good Intentions" on Mclusky Do Dallas, I was a believer. This is one of the best uses of Nirvana's influence I've ever heard, although Steve Albini is the producer, so I'm sure that had something to do with it.

-Deerhunter-Microcastle
Really great songwriting here--reminds me of a dense novel. Something I'll need to revisit over and over before I get the full picture.

-Explosions In The Sky-The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place
This is an instrumental group from Texas. Any time a band refers to their songs as "cathartic mini-symphonies" I'm interested. And the definition is pretty spot-on. I'm listening to this as I write.

-Death Cab For Cutie-Transatlanticism
I know, I know. Send my late pass to my home address, if you will.

-Interpol-Turn On The Bright Lights
Another one of those bands that I knew of, heard of, but didn't bother to check out. Once again, so glad I did.

-Javelin-Jamz n Jemz
Crazy-ass DJ's from Brooklyn. Coming across their stuff is the challenge, but if you like ridiculous beats from scruffy-looking white guys, this is for you.

--

Just a couple of other random thoughts:

-CNN has the POTUS's reading list for his vacation on Martha's Vineyard. That's a lot of fucking reading to do. He might be skimming.

-I couldn't be less interested in all this Where The Wild Things Are talk. But this is some sick fucking graffiti. Great use of the original illustrations.

-Daniel Johnston has a new album coming out and Pitchfork has a leaked track.


More soon.

JS

No comments:

Post a Comment