03 June 2009

Down To One



Continuing with today's theme (and most likely tomorrow's because I keep finding stuff I like), here's another great excerpt from Bukowski's The Captain Is Out To Lunch And The Sailors Have Taken Over The Ship:

9/26/91--11:36pm

A title. My mind was blank. It was getting chilly. Being an old fart, I thought it might be best to get my jacket. I took the escalator down from the 4th floor. Who invented the escalator? Moving steps. Now, talk about crazy. People going up and down escalators, elevators, driving cars, having garage doors that open at the touch of a button. Then they go to health clubs to work the fat off. In 4,000 years we won't have any legs, we'll wiggle along on our assholes, or maybe we'll just roll along like tumbleweeds. Each species destroys itself. What killed the dinosaurs was that they ate everything around and then had to eat each other and that brought it down to one and the son-of-a-bitch just starved to death.


More soon.

JS

No comments:

Post a Comment