07 June 2009

Hell Of A Damn Grave. Wish It Were Mine.


There's nothing better to me than books, movies, and music.

Well, maybe there's cooking and gadgets.

And sports.

And sneakers.

But artistically speaking, books, movies, and music is where it's at. So forgive me for being so damn excited, even after hitting the occasional speed bump this weekend, when I show you my finds.

First, I got my hands on:



which is a Blood Pact exclusive (Alkaline Trio's fan club, which I should just pay to be a part of) and now I've got it. The quality isn't awesome, but I'll deal.

Second, Danielle and I watched:



The Visitor on Friday, which was absolutely amazing. I was peeing excitedly about it on Twitter that night, and my mom even took the plunge and she agreed with me on the phone last night that it's a terrific movie.

Third, I'm three stories into:



and I'm loving it already. Great collection of stories. One of those I'd like to write like this books.

I'm a competitive person and nothing gets me more excited to write than having great art all around me. On that note, let's fire up The Sunday Review.

*

via The New York Times: Roger Federer completed a career Grand Slam this morning, defeating Robin Soderling in straight sets, a match that included a soon-to-be-arrested Barca fan running out on to the court and actually coming into contact with Federer. I would be more excited about this if he had defeated Rafael Nadal, but regardless, it's still a pretty big deal.

via The New York Times: This is a review of Gerald Martin's Gabriel García Márquez: A Life. My favorite bit is Márquez, who has already written an autobiography, remarking, "Oh well, I suppose every self-respecting writer should have an English biographer."

via The New York Times: This is a review by T.C. Boyle of John Updike's final collection, My Father's Tears. Do I really need to say much more?

via The New York Times: This is a review by Billy Bradley of Bill Russell's Red And Me: My Coach, My Lifelong Friend. Again, do I really need to say much more?

via The New York Times: I suppose this is a review by Kim Severson of Robert Kenner's documentary Food, Inc., but what's most important is the notion that "movies about food used to make you want to eat," and now they don't. I think this is an important shift, as this type of projected anger can usually lead to shifts in collective conscience. And when talking about food and America, this can only be a good thing.

via The New York Times: Just in case the last article got you fired up, check out this photo spread of Flex Mussels on the Upper East Side. I will be going there soon.

via The New York Times: Ever felt swindled by the blurbs on movie posters? Ever wondered who in their right mind called Kevin James's performance in Paul Blart: Mall Cop "scintillating"? This article by Brooks Barnes answers, or attempts to, those questions.

via Gizmodo: Here's a review of the Palm Pre, a phone that has a bottom edge so sharp, it can cut a block of cheese. 'Nuff said. And you should know that originally, this was going to be a Gizmodo post from this morning which contained shots of the "new iPhone" using its "front-facing camera" in "video chat mode," but when I double-checked it again before sitting down to write, turns out somebody just smudged and fucked with a Skype screenshot. So, uh, yeah. WWDC. Tomorrow.

via Wikipedia: This is just the Wikipedia page for the Wes Anderson movie, The Royal Tenenbaums. I'd prefer you watch the movie, but if you can't, at least read about it. Danielle and I watched it last night and I just love this movie so damn much. To celebrate, here's a Swedish film school remake of one of my favorite scenes:



via The New York Daily News: Athletes use Twitter. Some people make fake pages for celebrities. Twitter is popular with those younger types. Yawn. As usual though, Bill Simmons has written a better article about basically the same thing.

via ESPN's Page 2: Everyone made a big deal over the fact that Lebron didn't shake hands with anyone or speak with the media after getting bounced out of the Eastern Conference Finals. Old white guys getting mad about the actions of young, rich black men? Go figure. Good thing we have writers like LZ Granderson to point out the obvious:

There was nothing wrong with Lebron's actions.

Even better, here's what Bill Simmons had to say about it:

When you caused a controversy by storming off the court after Game 6 and refusing to attend your press conference, you did something even better: You brought us back to the days when "rivals" didn't hug each other like Red and Andy after every game, when NBA stars actually took losing personally and treated their peers like enemies instead of friends. I loved it. That was an old-school move. And as reader Brian Naftaly points out, you accomplished something even better: You made your teammates cover you in the postgame press conference, marking the first time all series they did something or helped you in any way. That was genius. Hold your head up high, LeBron James. You could not have done more with the possible exception of coaching the team … and really, that might not have been a bad idea.

*

That's all for now, kids. Yankees just won a close one, the Sox lost, campus is cleared out and quiet again, Danielle and the cat are asleep, and there's still plenty of Sunday left.

Enjoy it.


JS

No comments:

Post a Comment