13 May 2009

Fear Lulls Our Minds To Sleep



Persepolis was one of the films that, when I first heard about it, got added to the "to-see" list, although I knew it would wind up getting pushed around and eventually forgotten.

It did, and it was, and that was that, or so I thought.

Danielle wanted to see it more than I did though, so when she added it to our Netflix queue, I was mildly excited, although I still wasn't burning up with anticipation, which was the root of the problem from the start.

Well, we watched it this weekend, and I've got to say--see Persepolis.

If you're a whiner when it comes to subtitles or foreign languages or animation or movies that aren't the equivalent of a fluff and peanut butter sandwich, then I guess it's not the movie for you, although you're doing yourself a disservice thinking like that to begin with.

It's a powerful, complex movie. The characters are real and you feel for them, especially Marjane and her grandmother. The animation factor is used really well--never over the top, but not quite ignored either.

I also think its an important movie for Americans to see (or everyone) because you get a glimpse into what life "somewhere else" can be/is like, and it's not always pretty.

Check out the Persepolis Wikipedia page.

Check out the Persepolis IMDB page.

And here's the trailer:



And of course be sure to check out the graphic novel by Marjane Satrapi that the film is based on.


More soon.

JS

1 comment: