10 May 2009

Way More Than Luck




Danielle and I just finished watching Persepolis and it's 8:00 and still light out. We've been recovering from another fun-filled Saturday night--when has the cup officially runneth over?--all day and now the washing machine is churning, Sunday night sports are on (as if they were any different from Sunday afternoon sports), and out on the Quad, the tents have been erected for the upcoming graduation ceremonies. I am full with the feeling that I am part of one of those pictures made up of millions of little pictures.

Here's your Sunday Review.

*

-via The New York Times, this is a review by David Means of Denis Johnson's crime noir Playboy serial Nobody Move. I'm a major fan of Johnson's writing--I'm on my third copy of Jesus' Son. The last two I lent out haven't made it back.

-via The New York Times, this is a piece from the Technology section by Jean-Gabriel Morard on something any of us who use modern technology should care about/understand--syncing. You check your Gmail account on your iPhone and when you open Gmail on your computer, the changes are reflected. We could just write it off as magic, but instead, read the article and find out the why and the how and the things that get in the way.

-via The New York Times, this is one of any number of stories on Manny being Manny while on fertility drugs. While I may never be completely over some of the damage he inflicted on the Yankees, I can't help but feel somewhat morose over the unmasking of yet another of my generation's baseball (im)mortals. All we've ever been told is that Manny is a hitting savant--that it's what he lives for. And while his suspension for using performance-enhancing drugs may not change that in theory, the reality is that we will never be able to look at him again the same way. George Vecsey puts it in a depressingly beautiful way when he writes:

Baseball will have a hard time living with a Chernobyl generation that still glows with toxicity.

-via The New York Times, this is a piece by/with Mos Def. He gives Winter Miller a rundown on what he's listening to at the moment. The real nugget in the piece is the fact that Mos Def is a fan of Fucked Up.

-via Entertainment Weekly, this is a listing of some foodie blogs that are worth checking out. This Is Why You're Fat gets a deserving shout-out, but woe on them for not giving Michael Ruhlman his props.

-via The New York Daily News, this is a piece that is summed up perfectly by its title: Cheney Would Rather See Rush Limbaugh In Charge Of GOP, Than Colin Powell.

-via The New York Times, this is a letter to the editor regarding Tom Bissell's essay on David Foster Wallace. The author of the letter, Daniel Epstein, quotes Wallace's closing words, words that I doubt I will forget in the near future:

Your education really is the job of a lifetime. And it commences now. I wish you way more than luck.

*

-I got a new sign for my office at work:


It's just that time of year.

-Bukowski has always been a fan of modern technology:


He says, "Laptop cases that double as a bed? What will they think of next?"

I've started in on Chuck Palahniuk's latest, Pygmy (which for some reason will not come up in an Amazon search). If the book was a Presidential election and I was Wolf Blitzer, I would say something like, "Early returns are in, and the results are not promising."

Next Sunday, or even throughout the week, if there's anything that you read/snort/inhale that you'd like to see included in The Sunday Review, send me a link through twitter or in the comments.


Enjoy the rest of Sunday.

JS

1 comment:

  1. I received Stracci reaction on most of the Sunday Review, except one thing--Pygmy. I imagine that is because you only just began it, but please give us some personal insight. We need it!

    (I, myself, own it, but have not yet read it.)

    ReplyDelete