18 May 2009

How To Trick Yourself Into Having Fun



I'm in the midst of Chuck Palahniuk's latest novel, Pygmy, and despite some initial hardship, I'm really starting to enjoy it. Anyone who knows me knows I have a real love for Palahniuk's writing, although like many first loves, things haven't always been perfect.

Chuck did an interview with Time Magazine, and the fine people over at The Cult were kind enough to provide us fans with a link, so I'm going to be kind enough to do the same for all of you. It's a fun little interview, although from the accompanying picture (seen above), it looks like Chuck may be sowing some artistic oats, or maybe he just got tired of the usual Edward Norton-esque attire.

Either way, Chuck gives some good insight, and is his usual sick-but-humorous self, like when he's asked about his inspiration for Pygmy:

When the Fight Club movie was going into production, I quit my job so I could write full-time. I needed something that would get me out of bed really early in the morning so I started volunteering at a homeless soup kitchen. People didn't know who I was or why I was there, so they started inventing stories about me. I was a registered sex offender and I'd just been released from prison and was being forced to do community-service work. I was a murderer, an arsonist — all these horrific things had been projected on me because no one knew what to make of this white guy who showed up and made toast at 5 o'clock every morning.

And you ran with it? You didn't say, "Actually, I'm not a murderer"?

Nah. I loved their stories better than the truth so I just stayed with it.

*

More soon.

JS

No comments:

Post a Comment