12 April 2009

Haapee Eestah, Evreebahdy!



Welcome to another edition of The Sunday Review, an Easter-shortened version. Let's get to it:

-I posted on Friday about John Buccigross and Jack Falla and how I found some solace in an excerpt from Falla's Home Ice. I decided to e-mail Bucci to let him know just how much the words he'd chosen meant to me. Now, he's written before how he gets something like 900 e-mails a week from readers, so I didn't except anything in return--only that he'd maybe get a chance to check out this blog and read the post.

Well, he did.

And he e-mailed me back.

Six minutes after I e-mailed him.

I won't say what he sent (I guess you can see some of it), but all I can say is--what a guy. I'm still yet to get over the fact that there's an e-mail in my inbox from John Buccigross:


-A while ago, Ross told me about a project he was involved with, which involved putting together a list of his top ten novellas. The information was being compiled by John Madera. Ross suggested to John that I be involved, John got in contact with me, I agreed, and yesterday the project was finally completed and posted up on John's blog, HITHERANDTHITHERING WATERS. He posted all the individual lists with their comments on their own page, but he also made a sweet cross-referenced list so you can see how many people involved mentioned each novella. Here's the the post about the project, here's my list, and here's Ross's list.

-I read the papers fairly quickly this morning, so I don't have my usual thorough run-through, but here's a couple of interesting articles I found:


I've got an obsession with the idea of objectivity and film and cameras and if it can lie or at least be manipulated, so this article was pretty interesting. Anyone interested in this topic should be sure to get their hands on the film David Holtzman's Diary.



Both of these articles deal with steroids and pro sports--the first in baseball, the second in football. The first is recent, from today's Times, the second I thought of after reading the first. It's a Chuck Klosterman ESPN article from October of 2008 that is awesome and still one of the few times in mainstream media coverage that I've seen someone call for a moment of pause before condemning any and all athletes caught with performance-enhancing drugs.


-That was Wednesday night's dinner--Mojo-marinated Chicken with a Chipotle Cream Sauce and White Rice and Black Beans. Danielle's black beans are the best in the world. She'll take on anyone. Plating design is mine.

-It's obviously too soon to start worrying about baseball. I'm in NHL Playoffs mindset anyway, but so often, New York baseball fans can get wrapped up in a season that just started. Example--I've found myself checking the AL East standings and scoreboard already during Yankee games this past week, trying to figure out who would have to lose for them to move up in the division. The season is 5 games old and I'm already scoreboard watching. It's sick, really.

All that aside, holy shit, C.C. looked good last night.

Granted, he wasn't exactly mowing down the 1927 Yankees, but still, he looked like he knew what he was doing--which wasn't exactly the case on Opening Day. And I'll say it here--watch out for Nick Swisher this season. Right now, he's projected to hit 65 home runs and drive in 292 runs, both of which are marks I'm sure he'll fall slightly short of, but this guy is going to be one of the keys to the Yankees success. Apparently he's awesome in the clubhouse, the kind of guy the Yankees haven't had around in a while. He calls Andy Pettitte, "Mr. Pettitte," and check out this quote regarding last night's win:

"I don't know much about pitching," Swisher said. "But I know when he punches out the first batter of the game with a 96 mph fastball, I think he's probably feeling pretty good."

Tell me the last time you saw a quote like that from a Yankee.

*

And that's all she wrote for now, folks. The Peeps Apple Keynote picture is courtesy of Gizmodo. Danielle connected the Storm last night, so watch out for the Pink BB Curve on eBay soon--it might be ours.

Enjoy the rest of this Sunday, regardless of if you're into the whole chocolate-Jesus-bunnies-for-Easter thing.


More soon,

JS

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joe,

    Thanks for posting about the novella project here.

    John

    ReplyDelete