03 April 2009

Today's Throwback Punchline: Hideki Irabu

This was posted on Deadspin today, and it's pretty classic. I'm not a big Norm MacDonald fan, but I love these awkward host/audience pairings where it's so obvious that neither has been properly introduced to the other's world, and so half the comedy is unintentional and nearly painful.

And it's pretty awesome to hear Anthony Mason and Boomer Esiason and Michael Jordan-playing-baseball jokes. And Deadspin is so right--could you imagine this monologue flying in a post-Janet Jackson world? Not a chance. As a matter of fact, it's kind of sad that that's the truth.

Also, keep an eye out for the athletes of today except 10 years younger--Peyton Manning still has a hairline, or as close as he ever got to a normal one (and is that Eli next to him?) and check out to the right of Boomer Esiason right as Norm is cracking on him--yup, it's Nomar Garciaparra, right around the time he was probably starting to think, "You know what, maybe I should take steroids. I mean, I'm on the verge of superstardom, everyone else is juicing and they're not getting caught, and shoot, it's not like I'm going to take it and then within five years pretty much watch as my career swirl clockwise down the drain, right?"

I love it. Anyway, here's the video, via Deadspin:



Enjoy this ugly, wet Friday.


JS

No comments:

Post a Comment